Content media

Content aggregator OTTPlay launches subscription service

OTTPlay, a content aggregation platform backed by HT Media Ltd, is rolling out a subscription service. The platform offers movies and shows curated by Disney+Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video and Lionsgate Playamong 12 other platforms, amid the crowding of entertainment platforms in India.

The Mumbai-based platform offers subscription plans starting at Rs 599 per year— which provides access to over-the-top (OTT) platforms — and to 1,999 rupeesusers have access to all 12 platforms.

“Right now, there are so many content platforms producing movies and shows. We don’t want to be in the production space. Instead, we’re creating a solution where users don’t have to surf across multiple platforms, remembering multiple passwords, and trying to find content they might want to watch,” Avinash MudaliarCo-founder, OTTPlay says Your story at an event on Thursday.

“Instead, we’ve created a single platform where consumers can come and select what they want to watch,” he added.

The platform, which launched in 2021, aims to partner with a total of 25 platforms, including Namma Flix, an OTT platform in the Kannada language. OTTPlay has already introduced Hallmark Movies Now and Fuse+– which were not launched separately in India.

Subscription plans for OTTPlay start at Rs 599

OTT aggregation comes at a time when viewers are bombarded with content from 30-40 platforms that offer content for free or in exchange for a subscription. OTT platforms operating in India must also consider the country’s price-sensitive market. In April 2022, only 10% of people paid to watch content out of 503 million users who have access to these platforms, according to a report by Ernst and Young (EY).

In recent months, the video streaming giants have also lost steam, with Netflix losing subscribers for the first time in a decade. Its competitors, including Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ Hotstar, do not reveal user numbers.

Offering smaller subscription fees that provide access to multiple platforms could work for a market like India. Recently, MX readerwhich is owned by Times Internet, has rolled out a Watch Now Pay Later service, instead of an initial full-year subscription, in a bid to attract paid users.

Amazon Prime Video also rolled out a movie rental arm to allow people to pay per movie instead of paying a flat subscription fee. Currently, YouTube and Google-owned Google Play Movies and TV also offer movie rental services.

OTTPlay currently claims to have five million users, with about 60% metropolitan cities and the remaining 40% Tier II cities. “In the future, we will consider partnering with more regional language players, such as Bhojpuri or Punjabi, to attract more viewers beyond metropolitan cities,” says Avinash.